Friday 13 April 2012

Health and Safety

In the short time I've worked at the NHS I've nearly slipped over twice.  Both accidents.  Both incidents treated in completely different ways by my colleagues.

As a doctor, I don't have a clue where wards keep their cleaning equipment.  Maybe I should, but I don't.  Or who to contact if there are spills on the floor.

As a employee to the NHS, it is just as much my job to ensure that there are no health and safety problems for the patients, their visitors and my colleagues.

The first time I slipped, I was attending to a very sick patient.  His catheter bag had left urine on the floor.  I saved myself on the end of his bed, pulling my wrist.  I didn't have time for sorting me out, it was the middle of the night shift.  I duely let the staff know there was a hazard on that size of the bed, and asked someone to grab something to make it less slippy.  I think some sheets arrived, to give more 'grip' to the floor and soak some up.

The second time I slipped, I was was also attending to a sick patient.  But this time it wasn't an emergency.  Again I saved myself by grabbing the end of his bed, again I pulled my wrist (the same one), and also my shoulder this time.  I immediately found a nurse to ask where I could organise getting it mopped up appropriately.  She refused to stop her drug round, or give me information on who to contact, or where I could find equipment.  She would sort it 'later'.  I found some paper towels, and gloves and mopped it up.  There was no concern for my health.

Many of our patients are elderly, infirm; their visitors too.  I honestly believe that it's our duty to protect them.  For me, a slip meant slightly pulled ligaments.  For the elderly this could mean a fractured hip.  It is up to all of us within the NHS, as well as the visiting public, to ensure that health and safety hazards are sorted in a timely manner.  In this fashion, I will continue donning my gloves and grabbing paper towels, where others seem reluctant to help.  I will continue picking up the small bits of litter which clutter our corridors and stairs.  And, I will continue to look out for the health of everyone, who may use our hospitals, whatever their reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment