Wednesday 11 April 2012

Goodbye to the old, hello to the new

Prior to being a medic I worked in the Temping world.  I loved going into a company, working for a couple of days, then moving onto the next.  I thrived on learning the ropes quickly, on taking on responsibility quickly whilst taking the place of someone away from their job through sickness or holiday.

As a junior doctor these skills are back in use.  I work in 4 monthly rotations.  Each four months there are new colleagues, new nursing staff, a new patient load, a new system covered.  The basics of medicine are the same, the basics of the job are the same (get the patient back out of the door in at least as good, if not better condition than they were previously), but the nitty gritty changes.

The hospital I work in is ward based.  I used to work on Ward B.  The nurses were brilliant.  Some real characters.  I learnt from them.  We worked as a true team.  They were my back up, without a doubt.  They had a real knack for bringing the important to your attention.

My new ward, A, just seems different.  Well it is, the set up isn't the same.  The nursing staff don't seem confident, whether that's in our abilities or in theirs I've not worked out yet.  They ask for simple information multiple times.  They don't check in the notes to find answers prior to asking us.

My background of Temping means that I love new starts.  My love of my old ward means I'm not sure about this change.  I love being in a larger team, but this doesn't completely offset the fact that nursing staff run the wards, and can sometimes be the medical teams biggest resource.  Either way I'm sure I'll find reasons to start loving my new ward, nurses and job....I'm sure we always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment